Do you relate? I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat it: I think this crisis has exposed cracks that people didn’t even realize were there. There was the young mom seeing issues with her kids that need to be addressed, and feeling some degree of guilt for overlooking the problems before, or chalking them up to a “stage.” There was the empty nester who had busied herself with volunteer work, college alumni involvement, and lunches with friends that found herself completely bored, stating, “My house is cleaner than its ever been.” There was the senior adult who was home alone and suffering from intense loneliness, isolation, and a feeling of uselessness. And finally, there were lots and lots of people who said their lives had turned into “Groundhog Day” and they couldn’t get motivated to do anything.
Whether THE COVID (Bob’s name for anything even remotely related to the global pandemic! ) has exposed cracks in your marriage, your parenting, your coping mechanisms, your finances, your spiritual life, or what have you, know that you’re not alone. We’re all there in some way or another. If you’re struggling, here are a few things to try:
- Recount all you have to be grateful for in a gratitude journal.
- Phone/FaceTime/Zoom a friend. My daughter FaceTimes with one friend a day, and it’s been great for her mental health. This week alone, she’s connected with her elementary school BFF, who now works for a major airline, her actress friend who lives and works in NYC, her grandmother, and others. These conversations are mentally and emotionally stimulating and bring her joy!
- Take a walk. (Even if it’s cold and snowy where you are.) The fresh air will do you good.
- Make your bed. Put on real clothes. Put on makeup. See if it makes you feel better. I’ll bet it does.
- Find a church service to stream online this Sunday.
- Check out the website SheReadsTruth.com or download the app to sign up for free daily devotionals and scripture reading plans.
- Play the long game. Scientists have discovered that the pain of uncertainty is worse than the anticipation of certain pain. As the country reopens, we know one thing for sure: it’s going to be gradual. That means we all know for sure that we have several more weeks of some type of #stayahome or social distancing mandates. The rest is uncertain. You cannot control the uncertainty. But you can control your attitude and your response.
- Get out a pen and paper and figure out what can control. What do you need to do to make the situation sustainable for yourself? Make a plan of action. You can do it! I believe in you.
Weekend Scoop to Know
Here’s some good weekend scoop!
Dr. Anthony Fauci’s straightforward and easy-to-understand expertise as part of the White House’s COVID-19 task force has thrust him into the spotlight. Now there’s a change.org petition to name him People‘s Sexiest Man Alive! As I’m writing this, the petition has just over 17K signatures on it!
With more people than ever trying to patch up household products like vacuum cleanings, blenders, or mowers rather than tossing them, the call volume to customer helplines is prompting some companies to boost their call-center staffing! They’re also offering more online tutorials on fixing and maintaining household machinery. I recently had a 20-minute phone session with a Dyson rep, as I struggled to put my favorite vacuum back together after taking it apart to clean out the filter! It was so helpful, and the rep patiently guided me through each step.
Online Fix-it Help
- HowStuffWorks.com has step-by-step instructions & diagrams.
- YouTube.com has instructional videos submitted by users. (And did you hear that I have my own YouTube Channel now? It’s true! Please check it out and subscribe to get updates when I post new videos!)
- Manualsoline.com has thousands of owners manuals available for download.
- SearsPartsDirect.com sells manufacturer-approved replacement parts for thousands of models and brands.
- PartSelect.com sells parts and has troubleshooting tips.
- GoVacuum.com carries vacuum -cleaner parts.
- Amazon.com/replacementparts carries thousands of parts for major brands and appliances.
Face Mask Chic
With the CDC recommending all Americans wear face masks in public to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, they’ve inevitably become a form of aesthetic self-expression. If you’re looking for some chic ones, I’ve got you!
Need Graduation Gifts?
Typically at this time of year, I put out a graduation gift guide. But this year is a little different! You can browse the gift ideas in the on the Empty Nest Blessed Amazon Shop in these categories for some great ideas.
Check out these popular ideas that people love every year. (I obviously love personalized gifts, but all of these are also available without personalization.)
- Acrylic Monogram Tray (only $10)
- Personalized Acrylic Lapboard
- Personalized Dry Erase Board
- Personalized Shower Caddy
- Monogrammed Waffle Robe
- Monogrammed Towel Wrap
- Monogrammed Cosmetic Bag
- Monogrammed Zip Wallet (take 20% off with code “TOGETHER“)
- Personalized Leather Valet Snap Tray (Good for boys!)
- Personalized Plush Throw Blanket (Good for boys!)
- Monogrammed Vinyl Decal (only $5) – Customize by color & style and put on a Yeti, Swell, or Tervis Tumbler! (Good for boys!)
Organza Gingham Trench Coat | Single Pleat Shell | Floral High-Rise Ankle Jeans | Suede Skinny Stretch Belt | Strappy Leather Mules | Satin Evening Bag | Convertible Two-Row Circle Necklace | Pavé-Circle Drop Earrings
I felt so blessed to do a collaboration with WHBM this week on my Instagram! (You can see it HERE.) I fell for this unusual organza trench coat at first sight! The sheer panels throughout are what give it a gingham look. It’s styled like an authentic trench, with epaulets, a removable belt, and a back vent at the hem. It feels very high-fashion, and I’ve never seen anything like it! I paired with high rise floral jeans for a feminine touch, and let these lady-like leather strappy mules finish off the look.
One thing I love about WHBM is the thoughtfulness and detail they put into every piece! It makes their line look more expensive than it is! Everything I’m wearing fits TTS, is machine washable (even the coat!), and is on sale this weekend! This weekend, if you buy one item, you take 50% off, but if you buy three or more items, you take 60% off. Wowza! That’s one serious sale! WHBM has so many cute gingham pieces right now (I also own these cute gingham flats!), and I love the new mint green line they just dropped!
Best Weekend Sales
Honestly, at this point, brands are doing what they can to offer good deals and make shopping online easy and convenient, and especially safe. They’re also trying to keep their customers loyal by offering tons of amazing discounts!
Thank you for shopping with my links! It means so much to me! Blogs like mine are small businesses, and visiting EmptyNestBlessed.com and shopping with the links I share supports my small business. I’m so grateful to you all for supporting Empty Nest Blessed and sharing it with your friends.
ANTHROPOLOGIE | 50% off favorite dresses, skirts, accessories, and more. I’ve got my eye on this pretty wrap dress!
BANANA REPUBLIC | 50% off sitewide + extra 60% off sale styles.
CITY BEAUTY | 25% SITEWIDE EXCLUSIVE discount just for Empty Nest Blessed readers! Click through with THIS link and use the promo code EMPTYNESTBLESSED at checkout to get the discount. I love so many of City Beauty’s products, but I’m primarily a massive fan of their lip plumping glosses and non-drying matte lipsticks. I wrote an entire post about them! You can read it HERE!
J.CREW FACTORY | 40-70% off SITEWIDE.
Here’s what I’m shopping:
- This darling straw clutch at 50% off
- This gorgeous floral dress at 40% off
- This flattering ruched one-piece swimsuit at 40% off
- This unique cover-up maxi dress with tassel ties at 40% off
- This silver Tory Burch Miller flip flop sandal in silver at 40% off (If you’re not into white shoes, silver is the perfect alternative.)
- This comfy and loose weekend tee at just over $10.
NORDSTROM RACK | Refresh your GOALS with great deals this weekend on workout wear, home, skincare, and more:
- Up to 60% off women’s dresses
- Up to 60% off NARS & more makeup
- Up to 55% off Mark Jacobs & more crossbodies & designer handbags
Have a good weekend! I’m going to finish up my giant kitchen cleanout. (Some cabinets haven’t been cleaned out since we moved in! ) I’m also going to wrangle Bob to take some photos for a few posts I have in the works for next week. I’d love to know what content you’d like to see next week! Here are a few things I have brewing:
- What I Eat in a Day (i.e., my diet)
- Splurge or Save (I’ve got lots of good stuff for this post!)
- My quarantine skincare discovery! Maelove brand – their tagline “Luxury Skincare Without Luxury Prices” So good, y’all!
- The Cutest Summer Handbags
Hit me up in the comments and let me know what you’d like to see, okay?
The post What’s Up, Weekend? | Scoop You’ll Want to Know + Best Weekend Sales appeared first on Empty Nest Blessed.