Almost any horse can be at risk of a vitamin E deficiency. Do you know how to spot it?
Subtle signs of vitamin E deficiency often go unnoticed.
- Stiff during warm-up
- Sore after exercise
- Sour attitude when ridden
- Lack of energy and impulsion
More obvious signs can be confused with other illnesses:
- Evidence of muscle myopathy
- Neurological symptoms
- Weak immune response
A poorly developed topline can indicate a vitamin E deficiency.
What horses are at the highest risk of vitamin E deficiencies?
- Performance horses that are competing and traveling regardless of turnout
- Horses of all ages that don’t graze on good grass for at least 12 to 17 hours per day
- Horses on restricted diets
- Horses grazing on winter pasture
How do you determine if your horse is deficient?
- The best way to tell if your horse is deficient in vitamin E is to have your veterinarian draw a blood sample, which will tell you the exact level of vitamin E in your horse’s system.
- A blood sample will tell you the exact level of vitamin E in your horse’s system.
What is the best vitamin E supplement for my horse?
The Elevate® family of natural vitamin E supplements provides a highly bioavailable source of vitamin E to your horse. Elevate is research-proven and veterinarian-recommended.
Choose Elevate® W.S. when fast action is required.
- When administered, Elevate W.S. will quickly increase circulating blood levels of vitamin E.
- Elevate W.S. vitamin E is readily available and effective in crossing the blood-brain barrier.
- Elevate W.S. is available to licensed veterinarians only. If you wish to purchase Elevate W.S., please contact your veterinarian.
Choose Elevate® Maintenance Powder for long-term supplementation.
- Delivers a highly bioavailable source of natural vitamin E that is preferentially absorbed and retained in the tissues.
- Does not contain other minerals and vitamins that might cause imbalances.
You can get a printable version of this infographic here.
About Kentucky Performance Products, LLC:
Performance horses are susceptible to exercise-induced muscle damage. Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, limits the damage caused by everyday oxidative stress. It maintains healthy muscle and nerve functions, and supports a strong immune system in horses of all ages. Elevate was developed to provide a highly bioavailable source of natural vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate) to horses.
The horse that matters to you matters to us®. KPPusa.com
NEW EVENTING STICKER AVAILABLE! Visit https://kppusa.com/spring2023/ to grab one for your barn.
- Eventing 2023
- Spring 2023
- Summer 2023