Cupcakes for the Class - Free Number Games
Posted by admin on
Over in our TpT store you can find a printable for making a versatile math resource - Cupcakes for the Class. And it's FREE!
The resource includes number cards on cute cupcakes that can easily engage your little learners - tell them they are working in a cupcake shop or baking cakes!
We've included lots of number related activities to play with the cards, but creative teachers can no doubt think of many more.
Here are a few of ours:
- ask students to order the cards in forward counting sequence
- ask students to start from one and sequence numbers to 20 in a long number line
- challenge students to start at random positions and order the numbers - e.g start at 7 and keep counting
- ask students to order the cards in backward counting sequence
- ask students to start from 20 and sequence numbers back to 1 in a long number line
- challenge students to start at random positions and order the numbers - e.g start at 7 and count back
Order and Position of Numbers to 20
- flash a card quickly at students and ask them to identify the numeral
- ask them to tell you the number after (e.g. you flash 7, students say 8)
- ask them to tell you the number before
- ask them to double the number
- ask them to times the number by 3, 5, 10 (grade 3 level)
- ask them to halve the number (grade 3 level)
- ask them to keep counting from this number forward until you say stop
- ask them to clap this many times
- ask them to trace the numeral on the floor or in the air (numeral formation)
- make a line of sequenced numbers (either forward or backward), ask students to close their eyes and remove a number from the sequence - ask students to identify the missing number
- print 2 sets of cards, put one set in a face-down pile, the rest face-up and scattered
- students take a card from the pile, flip it over and then find the number that comes after from the scattered cards - put these together in pairs in the playing space
- students place counters on each card to match the numeral
- students draw dots on each cupcake with a dry-erase marker to match the numeral
We hope you enjoy using the cupcake cards with your class, in small or large-group activities. Laminate a few sets and have them ready for engaging hands-on activities to implement in a snap.