Apple Pie Cheesecake is a delicious combo of apple pie and cheesecake. This amazing dessert combines the best of both worlds! Smooth and creamy cheesecake between two layers of apple pie filling drizzled with caramel sauce is perfect for fall baking season. If you like apple pie and cheesecake, check this Apple Crisp Cheesecake Pie, too.
Apple Pie Cheesecake
There’s something so satisfying about cheesecake and apple pie. But when you combine these two, you get a fantastic dessert that will blow your mind.
However, layers of graham crackers crust, silky vanilla cheesecake, and two layers of homemade apple pie filling, drizzled with caramel sauce will make you feel happy and cozy even on a cold rainy day during the fall.
This would be the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving, or anytime during the holiday season, as well. And it’s sure to be a Fall delight when you have fantastically creamy cheesecake layered with flavorful apple pie filling.
How To Make Apple Pie Cheesecake
First, make the apple pie filling, so it could cool while you make the rest of the cake. To make the homemade filling, in a saucepan over medium heat combine 2 lb. peeled, cored, and diced apples, sugar, light brown sugar, lemon juice, water, corn starch, and spices. You can add more or less cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and cloves, to your taste. Cook until the apples are softened, and the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool.
To make the crust, stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press the mixture in the bottom of the springform pan and an inch up the sides of the pan. Place in the fridge or a freezer for a few minutes to firm.
Next, beat softened cream cheese with sugar, corn starch, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Add eggs slightly beaten with the fork and mix at low speed just to combine.
To assemble the cake, spread half of the apple pie filling over the graham cracker crust, then spread the cheesecake mixture over the apples and smooth the top. Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for about 70-80 minutes or until the center has set.
For this recipe, I did not use a water bath, but I place a small pot with water at the bottom of the oven under the wire rack and the cheesecake baked perfectly and did not crack at all.
Cool the cheesecake to room temperature, then spread the remaining apple pie filling over the cake. You will have to reheat the filling before spreading it on top because it will set in the saucepan while the cake is baking and later while you wait for the cake to cool to room temperature.
For serving you will need caramel sauce. I used store-bought sauce, but you can make your own if you want.
Store the cake covered in the fridge. This cheesecake requires a long chilling time, so plan ahead when you make it.
Apple Pie Cheesecake is a delicious combo of apple pie and cheesecake. This amazing dessert combines the best of both worlds! Smooth and creamy cheesecake between two layers of apple pie filling drizzled with caramel sauce is perfect for fall baking season.
Apple Pie Filling:
- 2 lb. diced peeled apples
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 ½–2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 ½ cups water
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter-melted and slightly cooled
- 20 oz. cream cheese-room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 3 eggs-slightly beaten
- caramel sauce
Apple Pie Filling:
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the apples and toss to coat.
- Stir together the sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large saucepan. Whisk in the water until everything has dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the apples and increase the heat to medium-high heat to bring the mixture to a boil again. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
Graham Cracker Crust:
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease the paper and a pan with cooking spray.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- To make the crust stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until evenly moistened. Press the mixture into the pan evenly all over the bottom and about an inch up the side. Place in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Next, spread half of the apple pie filling over the crust and place it in the freezer while making the cheesecake mixture.
- To make the cheesecake filling beat softened cream cheese with sugar, corn starch, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Slightly beat the eggs with the fork in a separate bowl, then add to a cream cheese mixture. Mix on low speed just to combine. Do not beat too much after adding eggs.
- Spread cheesecake mixture over apple layer and place in preheated oven. Place a small pot with water at the bottom of the oven under the wire rack. Bake for about 70-80 minutes or until the center has set. If it starts browning too much tent the top with aluminum foil.
- After the cake is baked, turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven with the door crack open for an hour. After that cool to room temperature on the counter. Then place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- Before adding the remaining apple pie filling you will have to reheat it over medium heat because the sauce will already be firm by then.
- Unlock the ring from the springform pan and remove it. Lift the cake from the bottom of the pan and transfer it onto a serving plate. Place the ring back around the cake. Spread apple pie filling on top and place in the fridge until the top layer is set. Remove the ring and drizzle the cake with caramel sauce.
- Store in the fridge.